Responsible for the structural and process design, reliability, and adequacy of equipment manufactured by the company and its subcontractors through the application of appropriate design codes and analytical methods.
|· Provides the lead structural and/or computational fluid dynamics support on direct customer projects.
· Uses finite element analysis including geometry creation and meshing or other analytical methods to assure required design criteria are met on critical components such as heads, Honeycomb™ shell and other related rotating and non-rotating components.
· Uses computational fluid dynamics modeling including geometry creation and meshing for systems with combustion and turbulence parameters. Areas of investigation include achieving high levels of temperature and air flow uniformity.
· Develops software or other standard analysis tools for solving structural, process, and mechanical problems.
· Develops procedures for operating Valmet supplied equipment in a way that is safe and protects the equipment from damage.
· Responsible for the structural performance of all critical structural components.
· Reviews and approves or provides feedback of submitted designs in a timely manner to meet the project schedule.
· Keeps abreast of recent developments in structural analysis, finite element, and computational fluid dynamics fields and incorporates developments as appropriate to continually upgrade analysis capabilities.
· Assists in keeping engineering standards up-to-date and in accordance with the latest applicable codes.
· Provides advanced structural and process support for sales to determine feasibility of existing equipment applications or to develop new designs to meet new requirements.
· Advances the art of providing uniform air temperature and velocity by collaborating with process engineers, conducting scale model testing, and computational fluid dynamics.
· Advances the art of HONEYCOMB ROLL® structural design to achieve lower cost designs that meet the structural load requirements.
· Provides structural support for manufacturing to address non-conformance issues, suggests alternate manufacturing methods, or designs and/or checks rigging or support structures used in manufacturing.
· Provides structural support for subcontracting to address non-conformance issues by advising quality assurance department or by addressing issues directly with the subcontractor.
· Travels as required to subcontractor sites to assess non-conformance issues affecting structural performance and to work with the subcontractor to develop remedies.
· Manages time appropriately and prioritizes direct project and development assignments working with the Design Engineering Manager, Process Engineering Manager, and Project Managers.
· Prepares and presents results of analysis to colleagues and customers
· Participates in sales meetings as required to educate and persuade customers of Valmet’s mastery of structural and fluids considerations
· Organizes reports for all large projects for in-house use or as contracted by a customer. Prepares presentations for customer reporting.
· Travels as required to customer site to inspect equipment and to provide structural recommendations/solutions to the customer to solve problems.
· Reports to the Design Engineering Manager for all structural/mechanical engineering related tasks.
· Is directed by the Process Engineering Manager for all process engineering and computational fluid dynamics related tasks.
MS in Mechanical Engineering, with concentration in machine design and/or structural analysis is required. Five years’ experience in related field including extensive use of finite element analysis of machine components and structures is preferred. A strong background in strength of materials, stress analysis, fluids, thermodynamics, and structural design is required.
Proficient in advanced engineering skills, among which are fatigue analysis, transient thermal analysis using finite elements, dynamic analysis, knowledge of structural codes, knowledge of material behavior, and fluid flow analysis using computational fluid dynamics.
High skill level with ANSYS software including structural finite element analysis and computational fluid dynamics (FLUENT software) is preferred.
To apply for this job email your details to Jay@vantagepointrecruiting.com